The Courage Of My 5 Year Old

Posted by: Ricc Conner,

Tonight was an amazing night. Tonight was one of those nights that makes you proud to be a dad. Tonight was all about a father and his daughter spending time together at Disney World. But this night was extra special. For this was Emma's first time to ride Space Mountain and guess what? She loved every second of it! I was so surprised when the coaster came to a screeching stop that she was grinning ear to ear. I thought for sure she would be so scared that we would never get on a coaster again. She was so courageous. I was so proud of her. Oh, by the way, it was her idea to ride Space Mountain. Honestly there was no coercing or even bribery on my part. She ran through the line, jumped in the seat and launched into space all on her own! Needless to say I am pumped...my daughter is just like her dad - a roller coaster junkie.

On the ride home I was thinking about Emma's courage and asking myself - why is it so hard for us to have that kind of courage when it comes to our journey with God. Why am I so afraid to share my story with others. Why do I hesitate to ask my waitress what I can pray for? Why do I not talk to my neighbors more often? Why is it that my 5 year old daughter can get on a huge roller coaster (for a 5 year old) and not think twice about it and sometimes I find myself struggling to share my story with the lady that cuts my hair?

Then it came to me - I don't have the courage of my 5 year old. What did Jesus say? Come as a child (Matthew 18:3). I have so much to learn from my little girl. Her passion for life. Her amazing trust in God and her fearless heart. I want so much to be like my 5 year old daughter.

Anyway, today was a great day...a milestone in her little life - today was the day my 5 year old daughter rode Space Mountain for the first time and loved it! You know what her first words were when we got off the ride were? Let's do it again! Let's do it again! Maybe I will begin to have that kind of passion after I share my story tomorrow. Let's do it again! Let's do it again, God!


 
photo

I'm just a simple guy doing my best to love God, love people and do my part to change the world. I'm a husband to an amazing wife. A dad to an awesome daughter. A step-dad to three incredible boys. A friend to a few. A pastor too many.

@Tue 24 Feb, 2009 20:16Green Banner: 24 February, 2009Green Banner Vector Graphic http://tinyurl.com/an5ptx

Template and Icons by DryIcons.com